Saturday, November 12, 2005

Journey to Nepal: Un camino desconocido

As an ethnographer I've kept journals for years. Actually, before I became an ethnographer. . . as a young girl. . . . I kept diaries of my life's experiences, as mundane as they may have been. So this should be a breeze. Why isn't it?

I'm starting this page as a way to share my journey to Nepal with friends, family and anybody else that cares to read my ramblings. In less than three months I'll leave the US and travel to that mysterious birthplace of Buddha where I'll live and work for I don't know how long just yet. Only have a few small ends to tie up before leaving, like finishing a book I've promised my editor by the end of the year. Should probably be writing the book instead of writing here, but I'm yearning for balance and an outlet for more informal writing. And so the journey begins.

Me alegro haber encontrado un lugar para compartir mis experiencias con mis amigos de distintas partes del mundo. Antemano pido perdón por todos mis errores de español. Me faltan menos de 3 meses para salir a Nepal donde voy a vivir y trabajar, y quisiera documentar el viaje -- las preparaciones, mis sentimientos, la llegada, todo – con la gente que quiera enterarse del proceso. No intento hacer traducciones literales de lo que escribo en inglés, ni traducciones parecidas a veces. Sólo busco el espacio para escribir en los dos idiomas que forman una parte de quién soy. Y quién sabe, tal vez en unos meses estaré escribiendo en Nepalí también (¡en mis sueños!).